November 30, 2012

Famous Love Letters


Gustave Flaubert

I will cover you with love when next I see you, with caresses, with ecstasy.
When you are old, I want you to recall those few hours, I want your dry bones to quiver with joy when you think of them.




George Gordon Lord Byron

In that word, beautiful in all languages, but most so in yours--Amor mio--is comprised my existence here and hereafter.

I feel I exist here, and I feel I shall exist hereafter,--to what purpose you will decide; my destiny rests with you,
But I more than love you, and cannot cease to love you.
Think of me, sometimes, when the Alps and ocean divide us,--but they never will, unless you wish it.



Nathaniel Hawthorne

Dearest, - I wish I had the gift of making rhymes, for methinks there is poetry in my head and heart since I have been in love with you.
You are a Poem.
Of what sort, then? Epic?
Mercy on me, no! A sonnet?
No; for that is too labored and artificial.

You are a sort of sweet, simple, gay, pathetic ballad, which Nature is singing, sometimes with tears, sometimes with smiles, and sometimes with intermingled smiles and tears.



Count Leo Tolstoy

I already love in you your beauty, but I am only beginning to love in you that which is eternal and ever precious - your heart, your soul.

Beauty one could get to know and fall in love with in one hour and cease to love it as speedily; but the soul one must learn to know.




Voltaire

No, nothing has the power to part me from you; our love is based upon virtue, and will last as long as our lives.

Adieu, there is nothing that I will not brave for your sake; you deserve much more than that.
Adieu, my dear heart!




Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I can't help loving you more than is good for me; I shall feel all the happier when I see you again.

I am always conscious of my nearness to you, your presence never leaves me.

Adieu, you whom I love a thousand times.



*****

Comments
0 Comments